Friday, February 27, 2009

Mexican Sweet Potato Stew

This was pretty tasty, I loved the combination of cumin, cinnamon and sweet potatoes, but a bit on the spicy side, the next time I make this I might add bell peppers instead of jalapenos.



1 T. olive oil (.01)
1 1/4 lb. pork tenderloin, cubed (2.66, I used 1 1/3 lb.)
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (1.19)
Fresh or Canned Jalapeno Peppers to your liking. I only added 5 and was dying (.10)
1 c. chopped onion (.25)
1 T. chopped garlic (around 5 cloves) (.10)
1/2 t. ground cumin (.01)
1/4 t. ground cinnamon (.01)
14 oz. chicken broth ( approx. 1 1/2 c.) (.10)
1/2 c. water (free)
1 c. frozen corn kernels (.25)
1 1/2 c. salsa (.25 purchased with coupon)


Heat skillet with 2 t. of oil and add pork, cook on medium high heat until browned, about 7 minutes. Set aside.


Heat remaining 1 t. oil in large pot. Add potatoes, peppers (if using fresh), and onion. Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring until peppers and onion are soften.


Stir in garlic, cumin and cinnamon cook for a few seconds until fragrant. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Add corn, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.Stir in salsa and pork; heat through.


Serves 6268 calories, 23 g. protein, 4 g. fiber, 5 g. fat


I served this with cornbread (.75) and grapes (.25) making our meal $5.93

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know what you think.