Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Homemade Jewlery Cleaner

I looked down at my wedding ring the other day and I was appalled at how dirty it was. It was definitely ready for a good clean. Honestly I can't remember when it was cleaned last. (Sorry poor neglected ring.)

I was relieved to find out how to make your own homemade jewelry cleaner. From what I've read you must be very careful at what solutions you use with your gemstones. For example do not use this solution on opals or pearls. Before you use this please check this site to see how to care for your gemstones.

Here's the solution I used to clean my gold and diamond ring.
1 c. warm water
1 t. ammonia
1 t. dish soap

1. Mix it together

2. Drop your ring into solution

4. Let it soak for 10 minutes
5. Scrub ring with a soft tooth brush


6. Rinse it in clean warm water.
7. Polish with jewelry cloth (I used a microfiber towel)

8. Be amazed at how shiny your ring is again!

This definitely Works for Me! Check out other tips on Wednesday over at We are That Family.

Erica

6 comments:

  1. You know I haven't tried this, but I've always used toothpaste, that works well too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHH I do this and love it. It cleans my rings and have them sparkling. I have a little glass jar with a lid that I keep my solution in until it gets too dirty. Then I just make some more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tip! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man! You would say ammonia! And Parsons to boot. I used to use the ammonia and have moved on to vinegar for cleaning. But, I have yet to find something green for jewelry. I know even the pros say use ammonia, so you are right on. And you know what, a while back Wal-Mart quit carrying the Parsons too. Which I agree is the best anyway. Maybe it's back since I haven't checked in a while. Otherwise, any green thoughts??

    Thanks, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginger. I tried to find a more friendly jewelry Ginger. I tried to find a more friendly jewelry cleaner but this seemed to be the concoction that everybody agreed on worked the best. In the past I have used toothpaste and a toothbrush. Unfortunately it didn't clean my ring quite like this did. I use vinegar to clean with too and try to limit these nasty toxins in our house. I actually had to go buy some Parsons. I found it at Target and unfortunately they only sold a jumbo bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Club Soda is a great cleaner for jewelry and other things. Just google "cleaning with club soda". I was surprised. I use vinegar for most of my cleaning. But the club soda really does work good on jewelry.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know what you think.