Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Flubbery Fun

I try to add some sort of sensory play with my son every week and I've been putting off making flubber for quite some time and decided to give it a go, since school supplies are very cheap right now. This is so simple to make and your children can even help make it.

Here's what you need:

4 Bottles liquid School Glue (please, please, please to remember to use washable school glue)
Liquid Starch (not the spray kind)
Food coloring if you wish
Bowl
Spoon
Ziplock bag



Pour 2 bottles of glue in a bowl, if you want to add some food coloring do so now. I left mine white because you can also color on it with markers and it turns it an interesting color and is lots of fun.
Next dump in 1/4 c. liquid starch and start mixing it with a spoon until it's combined. It will be very runny, add another bottle of glue to your mixture.
Once it starts to glob together touch it and see if it is sticky. If it sticks to your hand add another 1/8 c. of liquid starch and this time use your hands to squish it together. You'll need to work the mixture till it isn't wet and doesn't stick to your hands.
A rule of thumb when making flubber: if it's sticky add some more starch, if it's runny add more glue. (Even though you technically only need three bottles of glue I like to have an extra bottle of glue around just in case I need it.)
That's it. Now the fun begins. My favorite things to do with flubber is to color it or use scissors to practice cutting skills.
Since glue is cheap right now I'm guessing this whole project was $1.00 or less to make one batch. it will keep for several weeks in an airtight ziplock bag, toss it when it gets sticky, or you can always try adding a little more starch. I've never had a problem with this coming out of clothing, as longs as you use Elmer's school glue.
This Sensory goo definitely works for me! Check out other great Ideas at WFMW.


Enjoy!
Erica

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I never made this as a kid, but I did make the goo that is both liquid and solid, made from corn starch and water. That's fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to make this with my daughter for awhile, but keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Thanks for sharing the "recipe" :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know what you think.