Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mexican Pot Roast-Crockpot Modifications

Oh my stars, this is a great recipe. I'm usually not a fan of pot roast, I have bad memories of the bland dry after church roast growing up. Mom I was thankful for it, and still am, but never really crave a roast.

Here is the original recipe. This is how I made it into a crockpot dish.

Crockpot Mexican Pot Roast

4 lb. lean, boneless chuck pot roast (mine had a bone and I trimmed off some of the fat)
1 large can stewed or whole tomatoes (I just pulled out 5 frozen whole tomatoes covered them with water and microwaved them for several minutes. I drained some of the water, but left enough to cover them and them mashed them.)
Jalapeno Peppers to your liking (I added 5 and you could hardly taste them)
3 T. dry taco seasoning mix
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 c. boiling water
2 T. tomato paste
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 t. Pepper

Wash your roast and add it to the bottom of the crockpot. Next heat your water and dissolve 1 bouillon cube, then add your 2 T. tomato paste and mix breaking up the paste. Pour this over your roast.

Add your can of stewed or whole tomatoes. I used frozen tomatoes so I had to heat those up so they could defrost. I poured off some of the water before I removed the skins. Then I smashed them. Pour this over the roast.

Add jalapenos, onion, taco seasoning and garlic powder and pepper to top of roast.

Add enough water to barely cover your roast then put the lid on. Cook on low for several hours. I cooked it on the low 10 hour setting. I served it with tortillas but it would be great over rice too.

Enjoy!
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know what you think.