Friday, April 10, 2009

Frugal Family Easter Fun!

I love Easter, probably more than Christmas because there aren’t as many distractions that take away from the reason we celebrate. It gives my heart more time to reflect on the gift Jesus gave to us.

I want our son to understand from an early age the importance and significance of this “holiday”. So I hopped on google and tried to find some good ways to help a toddler celebrate. Even though our son is still a bit too young to comprehend what is going on, I do feel that building traditions into our family from the time our son was a newborn will help our family continue them as it grows.

One neat way to help give kids a good picture of what Jesus went through is by using Resurrection Eggs. I had thought about trying to find some on sale after Easter, but I stumbled upon how to make them, which is the cheapest option and more fun.

All you need is the following:
One Empty Clean Egg Carton
12 Plastic Eggs
Sharpie
Paper to decorate with

Fill each egg with the following:

1. Small Piece of bread (don’t forget to throw this away and replace every year)
2. Coin
3. Piece of Purple cloth
4. Thorns (I clipped this off of our rose bush)
5. Small Piece of rope or a thick string
6. Cross (I hot glued two sticks together)
7. Nail
8. Sign with the words: This is the King of the Jews
9. Sponge
10. Spear (I just whittled a point on a stick)
11. Rock
12. Empty

Go to this website to find the verses that accompany each egg. In my opinion it is best to read these directly from the Bible, so I wrote the verse on the eggs with a Sharpie. I want our son to learn that this isn’t just a story but it comes directly from God through his Word.

A friend of mine also posted a great idea of making Easter Story Cookies. When I read the title I thought these would be sugar cookies decorated to tell the Easter Story, but I was wrong. This project uses ingredients that in my opinion very effectively represent the story. It’s a great way for kids to interact with some ingredients that share the story of Christ's death and him raising from the dead. What a wonderful tradition for your whole family to do the night before Easter, plus when they wake up in the morning they’ll find the finished project. Check out Meshellyn’s Blog for full details.

I do think egg hunts can be great fun, in fact we have had several egg hunts already, my toddler is very into putting things in buckets recently. We prefer to have our own hunts, I'm not that into crowds especially when children and candy are involved. But if you have a hankering for a public egg hunt here is the link to the Wichita City Egg Hunt taking place this Saturday at Watson Park starting at 10:00 a.m. Check the site for hunt times for your child's age group.

Also taking place this Saturday from 10:00-3:00 is Easter Eggstravaganza at the Sedgwick County Zoo. There is no egg hunt involved but there will be a special guest hopping around, games and goodies found throughout the zoo, so bring your Easter Basket.

This year instead of candy I’m cutting out pictures of things my son loves and putting them inside. I may even add a few rocks & dandelions. (I love this age. The simplest things, often free things, make his day.) You can use clues for older children to help them find the next egg, which could lead to the ultimate prize. Be creative, I am sure that your children will remember it for years.

I hope you have a great Easter!
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know what you think.