Thursday, April 2, 2009

Rice, Beans & Avocados

I forgot to buy tomatoes, but I promise this was good even with out them. Oh how I love avocados! I found this recipe through one the of the millon cookbooks I have checked out from the library but apparently the title didn't get written down. Enjoy this meatless dish, it's pretty tastey!

Rice, Beans & Avocados $3.32
Ingredients:
2 c. water
1 c. long grain brown rice, rinsed and drained (I always soak brown rice at least 15 minutes before using it.) .25
1 can black beans (or 1 ½ c. cooked) .20
2 c. halved cherry tomatoes 2.00, I just added some taco sauce1 medium avocado, diced .50
1/3 c. chopped green onions or yellow onions .20
1/3 c. shredded Cheddar cheese .15
¼ t. salt .01¼ t. black pepper .01
Combine water and rice in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes. Stir in beans; cook 10 minutes longer or until rice is done. Place rice mixture in a large bowl. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients, tossing gently to combine. Makes 6-1 cup servings.



We served this meal with asparagus 1.00 & grapes .50 making our meal $2.82 since I didn't add the tomatoes.
Check out the recipe swap on Friday over at Grocery Cart Challenge for more great recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know what you think.