Friday, March 27, 2009

Frugal Family Friday Fun

Our family loves art, we love being creative and appreciate the work it takes to create something. When we planned a vacation to France we found out that all museums were free the first Sunday of the month. We loved the concept that the country wanted to support the arts and make it available to all people. We as tourists enjoyed saving a few Euros, even if it meant standing in longer lines. We were able to see some amazing works of art for free thanks to France's commitment to the arts.



I was very excited to hear that the Wichita Art Museum also offers free admission on Saturdays. If that isn't great enough the 4th Saturday of each month they offer a Family Adventure geared for children. I spoke to the director of Education for the Wichita Art Museum and she informed me that this event is geared for children ages 3-12. Children will take a peek into a specific gallery during this event and they provide probing questions that help your family discuss the artwork. What I love is that they don't stop here, they also allow the kids to participate in an art project based on the featured gallery. This Saturday's gallery are pieces from Patrick Deugaw. After talking with the director I really want to see his gallery, it sounds like he has developed some interesting pieces. There also is a story time at 11:30 and 12:30 in the art gallery. This event begins at 11:00 and the gallery closes at 3:00.



I really hope the snow we are expecting doesn't get in the way, I really am excited about this event. I really would like my son to enjoy the creativity that art brings, even if he is only a toddler. I hope to see you there.

Don't know where the Wichita Art Museum is located? click here for directions

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know what you think.