Monday, August 31, 2009

August Recipe Review

I tired several new recipes this month and a few will make it into our family favorite cookbook. Here's to expanding it by a few more pages, cheers!

I now have a new go to summer salad. The Cuban Chicken Salad was very good. I loved how all the seasonings and spices combined to create this yummy tangy dressing. Then you pour it over your crunchy lettuce topped corn, black beans and grilled chicken. It melded beautifully. It was also a very pretty salad. I even poured the extra dressing over the corn and black beans and mixed it all together and it made a great little salsa. That we enjoyed for lunch the next day.

The Italian Squash Boats were good, but not great reheated. I always struggle with finding meatless meals besides salads in the summer. This is one I'm going to hang on to, especially since gardens tend to produce a bunch of zucchini every summer.

The Frosty Orange Creme Dessert is a keeper too. I agree with Ashley you need another layer of orange sherbet to offset the sweetness of the cream layer. I made mine in a 9x13 inch Pyrex and it worked well. When making this again I plan on sandwiching the layer of cream goodness between two layers of sherbet making this divine.

The crockpot rigatoni was a flop. It was incredibly dry and I even added more sauce than it recommended. (To be fair my crockpot cooks a little on the fast side.) I didn't start it until 1:00 cooking it on low (8 hours) and the noodles on the outside were pretty crunchy by dinner time. My toddler wouldn't touch the noodles. I did however add some more sauce and water to it the next day and it was better than the first night we had it. If you make this add some water to your sauce and I recommend using 2 jars of spaghetti sauce, one for each layer and make sure you cook it on low, the next time I'll use the 10 hour low setting and only cook it for 4 hours.

I hope to do weekly recipe reviews from here on out. Right now I have the Mexican Pot Roast cooking away and it smells so good. I'm pretty sure my husband is going to be so happy when he walks in and smells what's for dinner. I sure hope it tastes as good as it smells.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know what you think.