Thursday, May 7, 2009

Crockpot Chicken & Chorizo Stew, frugalized $4.06

My original inspiration for this dish was found in The Best Make Ahead Recipes, but like most things I make I tailored it to our budget and taste buds. My hubby always loves to come home to the smell of Mexican food and right before we sat down to eat he said, I have a feeling this meal is going to make me very happy. I hope you enjoy!

Crockpot Chicken & Chorizo Stew $4.06

Ingredients:
3 boneless skinless Chicken breasts or boneless skinless thighs (I think thighs would have been better but we made do with what we had.) 2.00
2 c. chicken broth .05 (I used bouillon and water)
1 can Rotel, spiced as you prefer .50
½ bag frozen corn .50
1 can black beans rinsed and drained or 1 ½ c. cooked black beans .23
1 t. salt if using canned beans (2 t. salt if using cooked beans) .01
1 t. ground cumin .02
¼-1/2 of one link of chorizo .50
1 small onion chopped .20
1 clove minced garlic .02
A little oil of your choice .05


In a small skillet heat oil to a medium temperature add onions and garlic sauté until onions are soft and translucent.

In your crockpot place uncooked chicken on the bottom of the pot. Next dump everything else except the chorizo in. Remove casing from desired amount of chorizo. Crumble chorizo over the top. Use a spoon to stir everything up, leaving the chicken on the bottom. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6. I love easy recipes. When ready to serve shred chicken with a fork, give it a good stir and you are done.

We lucked out because Tuesday was a cold rainy day, but this would be perfect summer recipe served over rice using a slotted spoon. A great easy summer recipe. I served ours topped with a bit of shredded cheese and sour cream.

Check out the Recipe Swap over at Grocery Cart Challenge on Friday.

Also enter my giveaway this week for a free pair of Twinkle Toes Topichkiis (baby shoes) here. Entering is a simple as commenting. Even if you don't have a baby these would make a great baby gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Let me know what you think.